Course RV-01 - Introduction to Homiletics
by Dr. Richard Voelz
This course is an introduction to theories and practices of preaching in pastoral and liturgical settings. In lecture sessions, students will study the various dynamics of preaching (theological, hermeneutical, pastoral, exegetical, ethical, liturgical) and their relation to the regular practice of preaching. In conference/video call sessions and through online forums, students will discuss assignments, participate in workshops, preach, and offer feedback on colleagues’ sermons.
Course Schedule - Physical Sessions
- Class 1 - Monday, October 7, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Class 2 - Monday, October 14, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Class 3 - Monday, October 21, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Class 4 - Monday, October 28, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
- In addition, each student will participate in the online discussion in the Class Forum after each intensive session. The instructor will assign different students each week to pose questions or discussion prompts for the class based on readings, discussion, and/or lecture items each week.
- Students are responsible for engaging the forum each week.
- Each student will conference with the instructor, usually within a week, to discuss the sermon recording. This will occur for both students sermons make for this class. Depending on class size, students will offer feedback in the online forum on other students’ sermons. The instructor will communicate details when final class size is determined.